Saturday, February 15, 2014

Applying, interviews, etc


    With recently being offered the position for guest services with Disney Cruise Line (DCL), I've tried to find more info other than the propaganda (kidding!) on their site. And it's been near impossible. I have found probably 5 or so blogs that have helped me out. All super detailed. So, I'm going to try to do the same to help anyone in the future. That sounded time travel-y almost.. *insert reference to Doc and Back to the Future here*
    So, the basics are my name is Zahra, I'm American, I've done the college program (years ago), but DCL is definitely a new, confusing, and exciting experience to take on. I've wanted to work on a cruise for years and have mentioned it casually to friends and family, but never really thought of it as a reality. Yet, here I am. The real challenge for me will be to continuously update this blog. As my brother pointed out, "You seem like someone who would get excited by the idea of writing a blog and then forget about it 2 entries in." He is right. Here's hoping, though.
    The interview process was fairly smooth. Both of mine were done via Skype, although I've seen most people have a face to face interview for the second part.
 
This has been the step by step for me:

  1. January 15th -sent in my resume to the recruiter
  2. January 16th -Got an email from said recruiter showing interest and asking more questions about my previous experience
  3. Approximately a week later, I had my first skype interview and she wanted to conduct my second interview in person just 2 days later, but I was unavailable
  4. A few days later I got my official application 
  5. Took me a week or so to fill out and it took them approximately a week to get back to me

That brings me to this past week, the recruiter sent me an email mid afternoon Monday asking if I was available for another video interview the next morning at 8:30. I, of course, said yes.
The second interviewer was a little more strict and detailed, understandably so. We spoke for almost an hour. And then approximately an hour later I got an email congratulating me on being hired (pending the background check and physical). So now I enter the dreaded wait period that I have heard so much about. I've sent in all my background info they requested, aside from my passport (which I've lost and am trying to figure out a way to get a new one without making the 4 hr drive to Miami where the official offices are!!). They haven't set my physical date yet, so that at least buys me some time to figure things out. I do wish I had a leaving date though, just so I can figure out when to leave my job and what items to bring (if I'll be gone in winter, for example), how much time I have to see people, etc. I will update as more info comes in (or try to, at least!!) From what I've been told by my recruiters, interviewers, and from what I've read- basically, the background check takes 2 weeks to finalize, then there's the physical. After that it can be as quickly as 2 weeks for you to leave. It's all dependent on what's available at that time, regarding ships and position.

Ooh, and a side note: I reallyy want either the Magic or Wonder. The Magic goes to Europe and the Wonder goes to Hawaii/Alaska. It'll be interesting to see what I get and I cannot wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment